Monday 7 April 2008

It's official

So as of last Wednesday it's official we're having a baby. S went to the doctor in the morning and inside 20 minutes she had confirmation that she was indeed pregnant. For some reason I thought it would take hours to do the tests.

Wednesday just happened to be my day in the office (I work from home 3 days a week), so I got the call at about 9.20am. I guess the 99% accuracy of the home pregnancy test fell in our favour this time.

I think the reality has gradually started to sink in as the week progressed and especially at the weekend. We had a family event to attend, where of course there were lots of questions about why S wasn't drinking. She brushed them off, by saying that she was on meds for an ear infection. There is a kind of tradition here in Ireland that people don't announce their pregnancy until the first 3 months of the term is up. It helps avoid any explanations if things go wrong - the first 3 months I guess are the most risky. This explains why I refer to my wife as S. If/when we get over the 3 month mark (end of May), I'll start using her full name.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Frank and Sinead! I'll be keenly following up on the progress here. Being first time parents is magical and I am getting vicarious pleasures reading your blog.